In our current storyline, it appears that Boola the Giant had kidnapped Bernice the Whiffle Hen in which Popeye is setting sail to rescue her. However, Popeye has encountered Boola before earlier in his life "before the War" where the two-headed giant was an enslaved henchman for Sindbad the Sailor. And appears to still be at this point in our storyline. We will catch up with Boola, Sindbad, and the Sea Hag soon.
In the meantime, here is a "flashback" to a KEY MOMENT in Popeye's history where we see a snapshot of Boola and Popeye about to engage in a fight. This classic cartoon by the Fleischer Studios from 1936 is one of my favorites. If not a favorite with most fans of Popeye's cartoons. The character Boola has made some guest appearances in the comic strips in cameos but was a creation of Fleischer Studios. The cartoon "POPEYE THE SAILOR MEETS SINDBAD THE SAILOR" is in the public domain and can be found easily if you want to do a search on YouTube to watch it.
Boola is one of my favorite characters from the Popeye universe that comes to us from the cartoons and I knew that when I began writing and drawing SEA SHANTY FUNNIES, I wanted to include him.
In my SEA SHANTY FUNNIES "alternate retro timeline", this story pretty much happened "as is" in my version of Popeye's back story before "the War" earlier in his life. Olive and Wimpy accompanied him to the Isle of Sindbad where he fought the Bluto lookalike swashbuckling mariner.
Where I feel that I can, I merge the stories, characters, and elements of the newspaper comic strips, cartoons, comic books, and even elements of the movie all together into this singular alternate retro history. It all just blends into the pot together for me as one big tale. It did when I was 10 year's old. It does for me now at 55 year's old.
More will be revealed in the storylines, so don't ask me to clarify at this point. Just go with the flow and watch the storyline unfold.
This drawing is my "re-interpretation" of that famous cartoon scene.

No comments:
Post a Comment