While writing the current ongoing adventure comic strip for SEA SHANTY FUNNIES, I had already written the parts with Peepeye receiving a copy of the Herman Melville book MOBY DICK from his father "Salty" Bill Barnacle who the denizens that populate my alternate retro timeline more commonly call him "Barnacle Bill". (Side note: the book has some strange whispers coming from it... hmmm??? I wonder what it is and why ??!?!? )
Then a surprise happened to me... As I was drawing the SEA SHANTY FUNNIES comic strip for last Sunday, I received an eBay purchased package in the mail of some POPEYE comics from the 1970's that I was missing in my collection. One was issue #104 that I had never read before.
(I'm down now to missing issues 68, 70, 90, 105, 109, 110, 116, 158, 159, and 168 to complete the full run. I digress but let me know if you have a duplicate you are willing to part with. I'm interested in buying those)
So, as I was reading my new comic while taking a break, call it synchronicity or kismet, but one of the stories inside I was not expecting to find was of Poopdeck Pappy recounting to Swee'Pea a tale of himself from his youth serving with Captain Ahab hunting Moby Dick. So, I just had to add this little nod to my own story from a 1970 comic book by George Wildman. It wonderfully ties into some things going on now and something coming up in the future. This happenstance now seems more relevant and almost fated for me to find as this especially connects for something for Poopdeck Pappy and what we will learn.
So, today's KEY MOMENT presented itself even to me this past week to learn and discover!!! Enjoy the recap based on story and art by the late great Popeye comic book cartoonist George Wildman (with my appreciation and apologies for re-interpreting some of his work for the this special piece.)

No comments:
Post a Comment