SEA SHANTY FUNNIES Publishing Schedule

Check back later in the week for more SEA SHANTY FUNNIES™ comic strips. Visit www.seashantyfunnies.com

PROTOTYPE ONLINE COMIC TEST

Stripe Divider

Stripe Divider

Monday, August 10, 2026

SEA SHANTY FUNNIES™ - File Card: COLE OYL

 



Here is a New Bonus Feature I want to try out for those days when I am unable to take the time to draw a comic strip but I can still take 30 minutes to crank out one of these faster using some of my "stock" character pin ups I've previously drawn if I keep it this small and succinct. I figure this might be fun and also helpful to put out some abbreviated mini-biographical reference cards to characters running around in these SEA SHANTY FUNNIES stories of mine based on established characters as well as new character creations of my own. 
 
These file cards are inspired by case files from Dick Tracy comic strips and... um... yes... even the back of carded G.I. Joe action figures with those file cards. 
 
Remember that the characters, background information, and situations described in these bios and artwork may take inspiration or content from established Thimble Theatre and Popeye history, but in many cases, I have also injected in some twists and added new content that pertains to my "alternate retro timeline" in SEA SHANTY FUNNIES that may NOT be true in official comics or cartoons continuity or canon. These are MY spin on the characters.
 
Also, there are other creators doing their unofficial own takes on Popeye and I know for a fact that in many instances my takes and backgrounds on the characters DO NOT line up with their takes. And that is totally fine because this is like a multiverse where we each can do our own versions.
I do take some creative liberties, extrapolate ideas where I see possible links to established canon, and also pull some completely new ideas out of thin air if I have a new angle or story that I want to tell on my own that adds to the mythos. Again, this is unofficial and an alternate take of my own. Thanks and enjoy!
 
Oh, and by the way, Olive did have distinctive nephews in some of the earliest Segar Pre-Popeye comic strips in 1920 that were not the children of Castor Oyl that are all now but forgotten. but you can read about soon in these nifty new archived collections of THIMBLE THEATRE dailies that are starting to come out. I digress.
 
Have a great day!

No comments: